Better Angels is a tabletop roleplaying game about supervillains and the devils that give them amazing powers. As a player, you take both roles—a scheming supervillain, and the devil whispering over another player’s shoulder.
Product Type RPG Core Rulebook
Format 8.5” x 11” full-color hardcover, 176 pages
Product # APU7000
Release August 2013
How to Order
Better Angels is available online and at game stores around the world.
RETAILERS: Order from your favorite distributor.
CONSUMERS: Buy it from your local game store or order it direct from the publisher. Better Angels is available in full-color hardback and in digital formats.
- Full-color hardback (with Free PDF) from Arc Dream Publishing
- PDF from DriveThruRPG
- ePub from DriveThruRPG
- Ebook for Kindle
- Ebook for Nook
- Ebook for iBooks
A demon gave you superpowers and it demands evil. No, not just evil—EEEEVIL!
In Better Angels, you play a supervillain trying to control the demon that gives you amazing powers—and you play the demon for the player next to you, pushing that player’s supervillain to greater and greater acts of supervillainy. Do too much evil and the demon might take control entirely. Too little, and—well, it’s a demon. It will find ways to punish you.
Better Angels focuses directly on characters’ moral stances. Is your villain Insightful or Devious? Are you Cunning or Patient? Is your Courage as great as your Cruelty? Those characteristics drive your superpowers. They shape your relationship with your demon and are shaped by it in every scene.
Get ready. There are diabolical inventions to create. Enemies and rivals to thwart. AN ENTIRE WORLD TO CONQUER!
All it will cost is your soul.
- “A super powered thumbs up for Better Angels.” (Geek Native)
- “It’s way more than just a superhero game, and it’s not the same as what Arc Dream Publishing has done before.” (Roleplayers Chronicle, Part 1)
- “A brilliant idea, with brilliant mechanics, and frankly, the best game I will have purchased in 2013.” (RPG Grognard)
- Better Angels Message Board
- The Cult of ORE mailing list
- Greg Stolze and Arc Dream Publishing’s Shane Ivey and Dennis Detwiller on Google+
- Arc Dream Publishing, Greg Stolze, Shane Ivey and Dennis Detwiller on Facebook
- Greg Stolze and Arc Dream Publishing’s Shane Ivey and Dennis Detwiller on Twitter
- Character Sheet and Cheat Sheet
- “The ‘Good,’ the ‘Bad,’ and the Hunky”: A Scenario by Greg Stolze
- Better Angels: General Null of the Villainous Nine
- ‘Better Angels’ Story Seed: When the Levee Breaks
- Successful Supervillainy in ‘Better Angels’
- Better Angels — Bloodskull and Captain Stars
- ‘Better Angels’ Story Seed: The Spectacular Wing-Man!
- Kid Hell and Vicicle: Erstwhile Enemies for BETTER ANGELS
- ’Better Angels’ Story Seed: The Bad Penny Turns Up
- Retrocognition – A New Power for ‘Better Angels’
- The Inviso-Gun — A New Gadget for ‘Better Angels’
- Serpent Princess and Sky Arrow – A Villain and a ‘Hero’ for ‘Better Angels’
- The Devil’s Dollar – A Gadget for ‘Better Angels’
- ‘Better Angels’ Story Seed: The Dark Blight Rises
- The Dysfashionator – A Gadget for ‘Better Angels’
- The Evil Eye – A New Power for ‘Better Angels’
- Greg Stolze and ‘Better Angels’ on Fear the Boot
- ‘Better Angels’ Story Seed: Fall Comes ’Round Again
- Aquasanguinator – A New Gadget for ‘Better Angels’
- Better Angels – One-Roll Supervillain Soap Opera
- Hanging Curse – A New Power for ‘Better Angels’
- The Villain’s Glass – A New Gadget for ‘Better Angels’
- False Memories – A New Power for ‘Better Angels’
- ‘Better Angels’ Story Seed: It Should Be ‘WunderKIND,’ Dammit!
- ‘Better Angels’ Tips: Player Investment
- ‘Better Angels’ Tips: Playing Better Demons
- ‘Better Angels’ Tips: Picking Your Primary Sinful Strategy
- New Gadget: 31% Omniscience
- Powers and Aspects Summary
- New Power: Regeneration
- ‘Better Angels’ Questions Answered
- New Aspects: An Utmost Foulness, Aqua-Form, and Glory
- Devilish Optimization
- New Power: Crime-Time
- New Gadget: Barristerminator
- Statting Up the Opposition
- Guards, Goons and Gawkers
- Instant Adventures for Better Angels
- Better Angels Character Creation
- Better Angels Example of Play: Felix, Kazoth, Shining Diamond, and the Axe-Hole
- Better Angels at the Arc Dream blog
- The RPG.net thread where it all began
- The Kickstarter project that made it a reality
- Preview: “What Are We Doing, and Why Is It Fun?”
- “Soul-Catcher in the Rye,” a Better Angels story by Greg Stolze
- Actual Play audio at Role Playing Public Radio
Retailers can order Better Angels from distributors around the world: Alliance, ACD, and others in the U.S., Esdevium in Europe, and more.
(Pro tip for Alliance’s retailers: If their system lists Better Angels but shows zero copies available, place the order anyway. That will tell the system that they need to restock to fill the order.)
- Fans of tabletop RPGs that focus on story and character more than detailed combat rules.
- Gamers who would love a new twist on superhero RPGs—one that blends broad humor and tough moral choices.
- Fans of existing One Roll Engine games like Godlike, Wild Talents, A Dirty World, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Progenitor, The Kerberos Club, and Reign.
- Fans of other works by Greg Stolze and the Arc Dream Publishing team such as Unknown Armies and Delta Green.
Up-Sells and Cross-Sells
- Wild Talents (CB75400)
- Monsters and Other Childish Things (APU3000)
- Godlike (APU1009)
- A Dirty World (CB75407)
- Reign Enchiridion (CB75404)
Selling Points for Players
- Perfect for pick-up games with no advance planning.
- Lightweight rules with deep characterization.
- Collaborative character creation instantly creates the core conflicts that drive adventures.
- Encourages long-term campaigns that explore the ramifications of character choices and actions.
Selling Points for Retailers
- Critically acclaimed author (Greg Stolze) and design team (Arc Dream Publishing), frequently nominated for major industry awards.
- Strong online support—scenario seeds, a character creation mobile app, new characters, new powers, new short stories, and an active gamer base on Arc Dream Publishing’s website and in social media (www.arcdream.com).
- Retailers can provide a PDF copy to consumers FREE at point of sale through the Bits and Mortar program (www.bitsandmortar.com).